Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Bus Stops

(⌒▽⌒)

I'm sitting here and in times of loneliness, I think I would go to bus stops. In my high school years I would ride the bus from Ontario to Montclair, to Upland, and even to Pomona. When I was feeling down, I always managed to find interesting people, who just like me, were trying to get to their next destination. The difference: they had a much more optimistic outlook on life. I always remember particular people, like the homeless man from Arizona - who was half Indian - a grandmother from my hometown, and a girl from Pomona. They're (correction. I meant 'their.'This is what happens when I write at midnight or later) names are a blur, but their faces and their words stay with me.

Sometimes, strangers can encourage me more than they will ever know. It's weird how at times they can see through you as one is simply walking along the street or waiting for a bus - albeit it doesn't happen all the time. Their words of encouragement always managed to give me hope on a gloomy day. When i used to walk home from school I would always change my route, but I was always bound to run into a friendly smile. I think I like strangers, at least most of them, mostly due to their willingness to help or give out advice or a genuine smile without wanting anything in return. Without asking for help, there are a select few who just know - you know? - that you need encouragement sometimes or just someone to listen to you. They don't contemplate whether you deserve it, whether they know you, whether their beliefs align with yours, they just offer what they have.

I think one of these days I will ride the bus again, or the metrolink, and perhaps I can offer a stranger in need what I many times received, even if it's just a friendly smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment